Tuesday 24 January 2012

Hong Kong, pt 1


When I booked to stay in Hong Kong, I had no idea that it would be Chinese New Year! But I am soo glad about this little happy coincidence because it has been amazing. I also had no idea that it would be freezing cold, not such a happy coincidence.

Huge crowds at the New Year Fair
When I arrived at my hostel I met Matt (Aus) & Kath (Wales), who’d only met a few days before in Vietnam. We headed out for lunch, then to Victoria Park where there was a New Year Fair. It was absolute madness. So so so many people, but it was organised chaos- you could only go round one way, so at least everyone was walking in the same direction. Most of the stuff looked pretty tacky- probably what you’d expect from a Chinese fair, actually. Lots of toys and food. Afterwards we roamed the shops in Causeway Bay, and discovered that things aren’t actually all that much cheaper than at home! Mac’s are the only things that are a lot cheaper (almost half price!) but I resisted the temptation.

We're famous!!!
The following day I went to the Well-Wishing Festival with Kath, Matt, and two others from the hostel- Sjoerd (Netherlands) and Isabel (Italy). The Well-Wishing Festival is a part of the New Year traditions. There is a wishing tree! At this wishing tree you purchase a piece of paper attached to a fake mandarin, write your wish on the paper, and throw it up onto the tree! I wished for safe, healthy and enjoyable travels (ironically, I’ve been quite sick since then!) While there we were randomly interviewed by a journalist, which then turned into a huge photoshoot in front of the tree.. And before you know it we’ve made it into the local paper! It’s in Cantonese, but I will get it translated.. 

Later that day we went to the Wong Tai Sin Temple for pilgrimage. Judging by the humongous queue it is a very important part of Chinese New Year. People bought incense which they burned at the temple, with a prayer. The whole place was stunning, especially with the New Year decorations but absolutely crammed full of people. 

With an hour or so to spare before the New Year Parade we dropped by the Women’s Market. There were all sorts of things; from jewellery to phone covers to toys to kinky underwear...everything. I bought a little ring (which I bartered down, quite proud!) but then soon realised that all of these things would be much cheaper in Thailand! So I restrained myself from any further shopping. 

The New Year Parade was given a lot of hype. We were told that we absolutely could not miss it. With all that build up it was actually a disappointment in the end. Each float or group of people was quite cool but there were huge gaps between each. I thought it would have been hugely improved if it were just a constant flow. Not really worth the effort. 

Giant buddha hidden in fog!
The following day we made a trek out to the giant Buddha; about 40 mins on the metro, then 40 mins on a bus. As we got closer and closer it got foggier and foggier. By the time we could see (or were meant to see) the Buddha it was just complete white. At the bottom of the statue we could vaguely see his feet and his hand (because it’s in the air, away from the body) but we really couldn’t see much. He is huge, though. That much I could tell. 

In the evening we went to the New Year Fireworks. Again, everyone kept saying that it was something we definitely shouldn’t miss. This time they were right. It was spectacular. So loud, so colourful, so many fireworks! I’ve never seen so many in my life. And to add to it, the Hong Kong skyline is covered in lights. Beautiful.

It’s a vibrant and exciting city- I’ve still got another three days here, and plenty more to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment